So after the holiday break, I can say now that I am glad to be back in a routine. Glad to have kids back in school. Glad to send my husband off to work each day. Glad to have our evenings full with activities. Not that I minded having nothing to do, and I'm sure I'll be complaining about being over-scheduled in another week or two….. but when a family has literally nothing to do…they look to Mom for "what to do, what to eat, where to go, etc. etc. etc." And honestly, that's a lot of pressure. At least school feeds them lunch so I don't have to decide that for them too!
Anyhoo…… January has started off nicely. I didn't have to go to Denver market for the first time in 8 years (I think), and while I did enjoy market, it's always a huge stressor for me right after the holidays. And while I have had more than my fair share of office work to do and catch up on, it was nice not having the Denver madness over my head.
The kids….well, they continue to be awesome. Here are some highlights.
Brenley started back to school on January 2nd. Beau didn't start back until the 7th. So when she would get home, he was ready to rumble with someone, which unfortunately meant her. She obviously had enough of it because she wrote him this letter and delivered it to him at just the right time - when he was bothering her.
To recap, the envelope was To: Beau Grant…. Inside it said, "Please read this. Leave Me Alone."
She is a woman of few choice words, like her Me Ma.
And to stay on sweet girl, here she is at our favorite eating place, Bud E Rooster, where the balloon man was there again. He made her a monkey hat this week.
We were celebrating after her speech lesson, which she ended up blowing her Speech teacher out of the water. I don't know who or what flipped the switch, but she has really been speaking well. Smooth, soft, and stretchy is what we practice. I don't know if it is from all the singing she has done over the holidays (and we are still singing Christmas carols and pop hits, so we sing a lot around here), or if it is her increased reading skills, but whatever it is….she nailed that lesson. So much that the teacher had to scrap her lesson plan and improvise AND we don't go back for 3 more weeks AND she spoke to Brenley about graduation. "Do you know what graduation means, Brenley?" Not sure Miss Debbie was prepared for a 10 minute dissertation on what graduation means. What does graduation mean? Come on, give her something challenging. ha ha
This is the other precious moment I want to capture. At night before bedtime we get in the old fight of "who loves who more." I vividly remember having this same "fight" with my Mom always ending with, "I love you mostest," knowing full well "mostest" was not a word. Anyway, she said during our love you more fight, "Mom, I love you more than Ms. Beth loves Jesus. And Ms. Beth rreeaaallllyy loves Jesus." I had no comeback for that because you see….. Ms. Beth DOES love Jesus. She teaches music and gym to the kids at Northridge. She loves Brenley, she loved Beau and still asks about him, and well, she just has a huge heart and isn't afraid to tell you to have a Blessed day and how much the Lord is good. She is an awesome lady, and I just love that Brenley used that analogy. She never ceases to amaze me.
My big boy….well, he got all A's and one B (Math) on his second 9 week report card. We were so proud of him. He also got a perfect attendance award too. He is such a great kid. He has started baseball practice and is getting ready for our next basketball tournament next Saturday. He loves sports. Loves them. Ask him who is playing tonight or this weekend, and he can tell you the time, channel, opponent, and relevant stats. You can find him wearing on any given day something with Broncos, OSU Cowboys, or OKC Thunder. Today was a throwback Elway shirt to support his Bronco's.
And speaking of sweet moments….this boy has them too. He wrote this as part of a reading assignment about a book he is reading at school. It's about Me Ma and Pa Pa's dog Sandy and how much he loves her. Sweet sweet boy.
That's it for the little kids. The big kid is pretty great too. Even with my recent down turn in home cooked meals (i.e. I have ruined several of them)….he still loves me. He even brought me home on Friday flowers and a DVD movie that I wanted to watch.
I continue to be blessed with healthy kids and healthy adults. Reading all these updates about illnesses going around, I just am so thankful it has not hit us to date.
Oh yeah, and I do have to say…Happy Birthday to all my January birthday family members, including several of my friends and Brenley's friends (she already has two parties next weekend, with I think another later this month). My oldest brother had a birthday, my nephew Carter is now 5 (and he is so cute), my two nieces Alyson and Jordan have birthday's this month, and of course, my Mama has a birthday. Lots of good stuff in January and of course, February where Brenley May turns 6. Let the party planning begin!!


No comments:
Post a Comment