Pageviews past week

Monday, July 27, 2009

My BD

You know........ growing up I was the girl that started counting down to her birthday MONTHS in advance. I used to think life was so unfair that I never got to have a birthday during the school year, and I was younger than everyone else. But it never stopped me from not telling everyone I knew that I had a birthday coming up. I think I drove my Mom nuts. And even early in my adult life, I made sure I brought it up in conversation so everyone would know my birthday was impending. Not sure why I did those things.......I just loved my birthday. Everyone is nice to you, people sing to you (even strangers in restaurants), you eat what you want, have cake and ice cream, and are showered with gifts. I mean, who wouldn't like that?

But when I finally realized my birthday was just another day was when I was pregnant with Beau and I was admitted into the hospital - on my birthday. My holy day. It will forever remain a life long memory of mine and make me realize that my life wasn't all about me anymore. It was about something greater - someone greater. And that is when I surrendered to the birthday hoopla and just let it happen.

Don't get me wrong.......I still love my birthday and I like when friends and family remember and make a big deal out of it. But it brings me more joy when my kids open my presents for me, blow out my candles, get the piece of cake with the most frosting on it, and when they scribble their name in cards that play music - and then in turn, dance around the house to said music card.

I guess you could say not only are the numerical years of my age getting higher each year, but I think this time, I really have grown up.

Thanks to my Mom and Dad for coming to visit on Sunday. They always make me feel so special and just like the spoiled youngest and only girl that I am. And of course, thanks to my husband, kids and friends for spoiling me with attention and presents. I am so blessed.

Here are my babies enjoying Mom's birthday cupcakes..........and I'm enjoying watching them.



No comments: